This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Upgrade to Sql Server 2012

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Edited Jul 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Hello,

I've been using the SSIS Multiple Hash component in all the packages that I have designed. I use the Sql Server 2008 version.

My company is planning to migrate to SQL Server 2012 in the upcoming months.

I wonder if it exists any recommended way to update the component and all the packages at the same time rather than update all the packages one by one.

Thanks in advance.
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:28 AM
After installing SQL 2012, re-run the Multiple Hash installer, and change the installation options to include the SQL 2012 version of Multiple Hash. If the installer doesn't offer change, then please get the latest from this site, and do an uninstall/reinstall. The latest version of the installer will detect all installed versions of SQL Server and offer to install Multiple Hash for these. A silent install will install for all detected versions of SQL Server.

Make sure that any other third party components that you use, have also had the 2012 versions installed.

Check out your existing project, assuming you are using source control, or if not copy your existing project to another folder.
Open your existing project in Visual Studio 2010 or 2012 (if you have the VS2012 SSDT installed (Sql Server Data Tools)), and allow it to upgrade. This will upgrade all your packages in one hit.

My experience has been that the upgrade is seamless, provided you are not using Script Components (as these can sometime be problematic), or other third party components that you haven't installed the SQL 2012 version.

FYI
I have run SQL 2008 packages directly in SQL 2012 without upgrading them. SQL Server will upgrade the package on the fly, and then execute it. Of course you must have all the components used in the package available in 2012 versions...

Keith
Marked as answer by kmartin on 7/8/2014 at 6:16 AM