This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Multiple Hash for SQL Server 2014 Enterprise edition VS 2013

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:28 AM
Hi,
I have been using multiple hash successfully for quite some time now. It's a great addition to the SSIS tool set. I have been using it in a terminal server development environment developing SSSIS packaged for SQL server 2008 R2. The environment is as follows: The terminal server runs windows server 2008. On this server there is a 2008 R2 SQL server DB, SSAS and SSIS instance . Multiple hash for sql server 2008 has been installed. On this machine I develop SSIS packages that utilize the 2008 Multiple Hash object. No problems developing in VS under this environment whatsoever for 6 months.

Recently we upgraded our SQL server to 2014 Enterprise edition, in addition we upgraded our terminal server to windows server 2012 R2. Exactly the same setup as before, however this time I am using VS 2013 (BI tools installed) with VS update 4 with the multiple hash component for SQL server 2014 (64 bit) installed. This is on windows terminal server 2012 R2 which also has on it the fore mentioned SQL Sevrer 2014 Enterprise DB, SSAS and SSIS instances.

Just to be clear VS 2013 BI tools, the SQL Server instance (DB,SSIS,SSAS) are both installed on the same terminal server (windows TS 2012 R2). It is all one machine where I am doing my development and where the database resides.

There appears to be an issue with the 2014 multiple hash component running in VS 2013 on windows terminal server 2012 R2 (the above configuration). When I open my SSIS package and double click on any multiple hash component in my package I should see the incoming columns on the first tab, and then check boxes allowing me to check with columns I want to include in the Hash (algorithm to be selected on the second tab). However none appear. There is no way to select columns for the hash. If however I go to the advanced setting of the component, all is well, the check boxes appear and I can do this as a workaround.

Despite this apparent graphical anomaly the component still works as it should. When I debug/deploy and schedule or run the package on SQL Server 2014 SSIS instance, it works as it should. So at the end of the day it appears that the issue is purely asthetic. Still, the issue is when I double click on the component in said new Dev environment why do the check boxes not appear?

In order to rule out the fact that it may be an OS issue I created the exact same setup locally on my client machine which is a windows 8 prof box (this is way slower for development due to geographical issues, this is why I am using TS in the first place). Using exactly the same VS 2013 version (with BI tools) under this environment the issue goes away and the Multiple hash object once again behaves how it should, and allows the selection of columns for the hash via check boxes.

Could it be possible the windows server 2012 R2 OS is the issue? As mentioned it only occurs when you double click the component (to bring up the "basic" screen) If I right click and select advanced settings I can work around the issue. It would be nice though if I didn't have to do it this way as you have to add the columns by there column numbers on tab three of the advanced settings.
Any help much appreciated.
thanks,
Des
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2015 at 7:11 AM
Edited Jan 31, 2015 at 6:00 AM
I have built a Windows 2012 R2 server, with SQL 2014, SSDT BI and Multiple Hash on Azure.
It did not show the problem, when connecting with RDP.

Can you let me know what server roles etc. are installed on the Terminal Server, and I will attempt to build one.
You can message me directly if you don't want to leave the details on the site here.

I'll also try and build a Winforms application that uses all the same components for screen display, to isolate the problem from Visual Studio and SSDT BI.

Keith
Feb 2, 2015 at 12:31 AM
Edited Feb 2, 2015 at 12:32 AM
Hi Keith,
Thankyou for your response.
Since writing my post I have looked into this further. It appears that issue is with resolution. I have two monitors one at a resolution of 1920 by 1080 (22 inch) and another 28 inch monitor at resolution 3840 by 2160. The problem is occurring when I use the larger monitor, viewing the Multiple Hash object on the 22 inch screen at 1920 by 1080 is no problem. So, when I RDP to the windows 2012 R2 Server to do my development, I like to use the big screen to view my packages, the RDP session has res set to 3840 by 2160 under this resolution, no check boxes appear. If I open the RDP session on the same monitor (the 28 inch one) and set it 1920 by 1080 the issue goes away. This I believe is the problem, when using the higher resolution something goes awry..... I appreciate this may be difficult to replicate unless you go out and get a 28 inch high res monitor. Anyway, for the moment at least I know there is no issues with the component working as it should it's just a visual thing. Let me know if you are able to replicate this at some stage, it would be great to be able to use the component on my high res screen.
thanks,
Des